Monday, May 9, 2011

Green manure

Dug in my green manure this week, an Autumn mix of peas, oats and vetch. It seems counter intuitive to plant something which I then have to dig in, we did eat the pea shoots but had no peas as I have followed instructions to dig in before flower onset. Bed looks pretty messy at this stage - I hope my efforts will be rewarded with luscious soil for the summer crops. I intend to fallow this bed until Spring so I don't have the ongoing problem of no free beds when the weather warms.


Pulled up all my cucumbers, Japanese climbing variety rewarded me with so many delicious cucumbers that have kept on going and going. I have grown 3 mega cucumbers with the hope of saving the seed. Hopefully they will contain some viable seeds as this is the most sucess I have ever had with cucumbers, we were pulling in about 10 a week from two bushes since January. The cucumber pickle I made is delicious and bears no resemblance to the supermarket variety. I've sown some green manure in this bed, avoiding the pineapple that is miraculously holding on. The kids are laughing at me - I might put it in a pot so I can relocate it to a warmer place to survive the winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt.
Margaret Atwood

“She turned to the sunlight
And shook her yellow head,
And whispered to her neighbour:
"Winter is dead.”
― A.A. Milne, When We Were Very Young