Tuesday, April 23, 2013

DIY Rainbow

All it took was a little prod yesterday from my sister in London. "Chalk rainbow crossings, aren't they so cute", so off I went perusing the web, I'd seen a chalk rainbow image but not really taken in what was going on.  Then, because the worldwide chalk rainbow phenomenon was awesome, I showed the kids the pictures, and told them the story. Suddenly the Bowerbird family had a strong urge to draw our own chalk rainbow. I'm sure this was all part of my sister's master plan - she knows I love this kind of thing.  All the little Bowerbird's eyes lit up when I suggested a night time graffiti session, a chance to release their inner naughty. We scoped out the best place for a drawing in the daylight, then gathered Saffron Milk Caps and pine cones on the way home. After mushroom pizza for dinner we were still inspired and, undeterred by the cold, ventured out with a bag of chalk and torches.

I thought we were being surreptitious but it turns out 8pm is peak hour at the Macedon Station pedestrian tunnel. At first we thought of hiding, but who am I kidding, it's a small town and we're drawing rainbows, arrest us. We had lots of words of encouragement, my favourite comment from a passing jogger "the family that graffiti together, stays together". Many people were aware and in full support of this colourful protest, that began with a beautifully painted rainbow crossing on Oxford St, created to celebrate Sydney's 35th Mardi Gras. Ironically a 'Mr Gay" had it removed.
The littlest had the best time, piping "I could do this all night". It sure brightens up this gloomy brick tunnel, hopefully it will be still there to admire in the daylight. I think it makes the railway tunnel feel safer.For more rainbows checkout DIY Rainbow Crossings.
























On our return home there were more rainbows, solar rainbow fairy lights (still up since xmas because that's how we roll) and a beautiful bunch of rainbow roses (gifted from mum a week ago and still going strong).

MACKLEMORE & RYAN LEWIS - SAME LOVE feat. MARY LAMBERT 


I watched this video clip with my children this week and asked them if they knew what it was about.  The middle one nodded knowingly and said "gayness",  I had to laugh.  After growing up with two awesome gay aunties, its really just love to them, they don't judge who it should be between, they don't even notice. The children were horrified to hear that some people don't like gay people, and that same sex couples aren't allowed to get married in Australia. You might have said some people have purple blood to explain the incredulous look of on their faces.

I hope you're inspired to sketch a rainbow, we had soooo much fun.

10 comments:

  1. LOVE this!!! What a great thing to do, we have only JUST made gay/lesbian marriage law here ... Will be putting one in Otane, New Zealand over the next couple of days ... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. New Zealand rocks, that was an amazing session in parliament, awesome singing and speeches,you're way ahead of us. Home of the Rainbow Warrior,and plenty of rain, it is really a very rainbow kind of place, looking forward to seeing yours.

      Delete
  2. I love this idea! It was so sad to hear of the rainbow crossing being removed..but now they'll be everywhere!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post Kristy!! What a fantastic family you guys are!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it. And the roses still beautiful. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love you beautiful sister, Aunty Teneil got a little teary seeing these pictures. Glad you all had so much fun making rainbows and as always thank you for your never erring support x x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, Aunty Teneil missing that smiley crazy lady. You guys do love better than anyone I know, like a never ending teenage romance. The rainbow is still there bright and sparkling almost a week later, being a tunnel its well protected from the elements. Love our town just that little bit more.

      Delete
  6. Inspiring :-)

    I especially love that they got to 'release their inner naughty' and learnt about the value of activism. I'm going to sound like an old fuddy duddy now - but I do worry that the kids and young adults of today aren't prepared to stand up for anything. They are too busy getting a 'good' education and then a 'good' job.

    Little eco and I went to a rally recently - against hunting in national parks. It was her first rally where she understood what it was about and consciously decided she wanted to go. I was so proud.

    I was sad to see very few kids there and then an almost total lack of teenagers and young adults.

    Thats my fuddy duddy winge for the day ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The kids were practically dragging us out the door to do this, they were pumped. I suspect drawing on forbidden places was more the lure than fighting for the cause but they are definitely proud of their actions and knew what they meant (although the littlest was really just drawing rainbows). I think they enjoyed the rush of doing something good.

      Re fuddy duddy winge I think yes and no. Check out what's happening on crowd funding sites like Pozible and you'd be impressed with what young people are up to and the creative ways they are doing it. There are amazing young people perched on tree tops and plenty that are knowledgeable and stand up against societies ills. Teenagers of my generation weren't particularly active but university was definitely a hotbed of idealism. Of course its not all good, some kids have so much given to them so easily, that everything is taken for granted. It's a shame there weren't more kids at your rally, perhaps the advertising around the event didn't really target them.

      Delete

In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt.
Margaret Atwood

“She turned to the sunlight
And shook her yellow head,
And whispered to her neighbour:
"Winter is dead.”
― A.A. Milne, When We Were Very Young