Monday, May 14, 2012

A Beautiful Mothers Day Gift









I adore being a mum, those little faces and the cute things that come out of their mouths. That wondrously soft hair and skin.  The way they throw themselves at you, demanding to be loved. The cuddles and kisses and snuggles.  The little Bowerbird greeted me with "I'm so proud of you mummy" on Sunday morning. Awwwww.  I got the best card complete with pop out mushrooms from the Middle one.  The big one carried up croissants and coffee for me to eat in bed. Those children know me all too well. Dad was very sweet and secretly bought me a fancy new fry pan and some pansies. The children rejected the school mothers day stall which has predominantly awful disposable things, and took some money to spend at the local shops.  I got a Toblerone and a very cute little notebook.


Of course motherhood is not all sunshine, and sometimes its nice great incredible to have a moment (or two) without a little one at your side (one currently on my lap as I write).  I walked outside yesterday and strolled across the road to the pine trees, a moment to hear myself think, and feel the cold mist on my cheeks. A little silence. The smell of wet pine needles. A chance to remember who I am. 


Nestled in the grass little orange mushrooms were pushing upwards, the millipedes and slugs were quickly moving in, but I managed to outwit the bugs for a small haul of Saffron Milk Caps for our dinner. We had them fried with garlic, and the last of the summer eggplant and zuchinni, served beside a golden mound of polenta. Delicious. Now I just need to figure out what to do with all that left over polenta, I cooked up two cups without realising how much it would grow.



4 comments:

  1. I often grill left over polenta - and then top with tomatoes, herbs and cheese. I had a lovely mothers day too, we all went into town to the galleries and I was allowed to go to the Fred Williams exhibition by myself while the others did the Art Cart activity and then played in the kids gallery. Lovely combination of kids and time to myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like the best day, a whole exhibit by oneself, sheer luxury! I might suggest that idea next year! Thanks for the polenta tip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds ike a lovely day. Love the pics of the mushrooms with the dappled sunlight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have cut up polenta (chip size) and rolled it in a bit of dried polenta and fried them like chips. They are a really crunchy side dish. Love the look of the mushies. Oh and absolutely love your veggie patch group idea and blog, fantastic.

    ReplyDelete

In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt.
Margaret Atwood

“She turned to the sunlight
And shook her yellow head,
And whispered to her neighbour:
"Winter is dead.”
― A.A. Milne, When We Were Very Young