Friday, July 27, 2012

Living in the Cave

 Apparently I've been living in a cave.
This is the only shades of grey in my life.
 Not that I don't like books.
What I have been reading in the cave.  I've been rediscovering the library of late. The only problem is I haven't wanted to return the books I borrow. Kitchen Gardens of Australia, is my sort of eye candy.

An absolute favourite was this one a friend lent me, I had to go and get my own copy I liked it so much.
 How good is that title? feel like I can relate to Lowly.
Oh Jackie, such a garden guru.  She explains growing fruit trees from seed is fine (she knows from experience), and if you can create micro climates in your garden, you would be surprised what is possible.

 Vegetable titillation, far more exciting than any domination/submission novel. 
 Besides, I read the Story of O when I was 18 at Uni, and I'm not sure much would shock me after that.
Are you reading 50 Shades of Grey? I only heard of it two weeks ago.  Yep, apparently not getting out much.


6 comments:

  1. There were references (jokes, mainly!) to it on Pinterest, I had to go & Google it. The reviews on Amazon about it said the quality of the writing was poor, so I haven't bothered reading it (though I got sent a link to download it for free) and probably won't. I am not against risque fiction, just against poorly written junk. Maybe one day I'll try it, but I can highly, highly recommend a book that you will love... The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not really knocking it, I'm sure it makes enlightening reading, kind of laughing at myself for being out of touch. I do much prefer the sound of your recommendation though. You are the second person who has told me about it in the last week so I think the Language of Flowers will definitely need to join me in the cave, my friends description of the book reminded me a little of the novel Eucalyptus, which I really loved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Errr - the cave extends to Coburg - I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about - although I do want to get a look at that Kitchen Gardens of Australia book. Off to google....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh OK - not sure what I was expecting but that wasn't it. I am amused by your bedroom photos now that I know the basics of the plot, although I suspect the books protagonists didn't have vintage linen but maybe I'm wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some sort of kinky unicorn versus dragon games perhaps? We're still sharing a room with our 3 year old so not really a shades of grey kind of bedroom setting. Hmmm vintage linen, not your usual sexy boudoir look. Pleased I'm not the only on in the dark.

      Delete
  5. Don't worry, I only heard about it a few weeks ago too. Not terribly interested in it though. I tend to be more into non fiction these days. I really enjoyed Jackie French's book as well as the Thrifty Gardener which I was lucky enough to pick up in our local library too. I know what you mean when you say you don't want to return them. Must see if they have that kitchen garden book. Looks like a good one.

    ReplyDelete

In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt.
Margaret Atwood

“She turned to the sunlight
And shook her yellow head,
And whispered to her neighbour:
"Winter is dead.”
― A.A. Milne, When We Were Very Young