Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Birds of a feather

Birds of a feather
A panel of experts sample poached chicken.

The Age newspaper reviewed the flavour of Victorian chickens today and I was disappointed to discover the one I buy was rated the least tasty of them all. Hmmmph! I'm hoping they just got a bad Free Range Lillydale - usually tastes pretty good to me.  Interestingly there was not much difference in flavour between them, although free range birds fared better on the whole. The winner was:


FIRST
Bannockburn Free Range 67/100 $7.30/kg
FROM the people who brought you La Ionica comes this well-formed chook that ticks the free-range and chemical-free processing boxes, described by one of the panel as having ''juicy, sweet, flavoursome flesh''.


Read more: 
http://www.theage.com.au/entertainment/restaurants-and-bars/birds-of-a-feather-20110822-1j66p.html#ixzz1VrSzK3dK

They also discussed issues of chicken breed and methods of processing chickens which may sway how you eat.

3 comments:

  1. Very interesting. I wonder if they discussed the increase fat content that commercial chickens have compared to 30 years ago?? I can't wait to hatch my own chickens & gobble them down (only i'll be more discrete in front of them). Love Posie

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was so informative. Thank you! I'm glad I found your blog.

    sea breeze scalp

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting! They say ignorance is bliss - and although I buy free range where possible - it does stress me out to think about the whole meat process too much!

    Rach xo

    ReplyDelete

In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt.
Margaret Atwood

“She turned to the sunlight
And shook her yellow head,
And whispered to her neighbour:
"Winter is dead.”
― A.A. Milne, When We Were Very Young