Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Mutato zuchinni, farewell the slug


My wonderful zuchinni Mutato (read more here) aka "the slug" has started to weep. I think it feels spring is here and wants to shed its seeds. It fits comfortably around my neck as a giant travel pillow and was harvested in January 2011, after it went unnoticed - hiding under its big green leaves (hard to believe I know).  Interestingly it was green for a long time and has only turned golden in recent months.  Amazing how long it has survived on my kitchen bench, just a bit moist underneath when I picked it up today.   Off for the chop this week, I imagine there will be more seeds than I could ever use (hello sow, give, grow) - hope one of them throws me another interesting creation.  Looking forward to the zuchinni glut, when everyone is lamenting planting too many on the other side of the world I'm pining for some green or golden goodness.




3 comments:

  1. OMG it's massive! The kids must get such a kick out of seeing the wonderful and sometimes strange things that grow in your garden. Beautiful pic of the little one x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow that is a huge zucchini!!!! And yes rather slug like :) Amazed it survived so long and so well. I'm craving new fresh zucchini too, love that winter is almost over! Hooray!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope The Slug obliges with some viable seed! It would be quite a thing to have a go at growing some travel pillows ;)

    ReplyDelete

In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt.
Margaret Atwood

“She turned to the sunlight
And shook her yellow head,
And whispered to her neighbour:
"Winter is dead.”
― A.A. Milne, When We Were Very Young